January 2023 | PMSFL - Fundamentals
April 2023 | PMSFL - Basics
October 2023 | PMSFL - Basics
almost everything in life is a project!
The sooner one learns the skills to manage it well, the sooner one gains the benefits for life.
Be an enabler to youth towards a successful life through project management education.
Through introduction to the basics of project management as well as tools and techniques, help participants develop skills to become a great project manager leading successful projects.
Just about everything in life is a project. Providing the opportunity for youth to learn the skills early and to manage it well will benefit them for life.
Youth education program
This is a Joint Youth Education Program provided by the Minnesota Chapter of the Project Management Institute (PMI) and the Northern Star Scouting Council of BSA. The classes satisfy the Project Management requirements for the Pathfinder Award in Venturing, BSA.
Class sessions offered once a quarter throughout the year. Date & time subject to change – inquire with PMSFL Program Manager, before registering. Whether it is in-person or virtual class will be announced before registration starts. Registration closes two Fridays prior to the session. Minimum 4 registrants to open the class.
Additional Special Session requests by schools, programs, or youth organizations are welcome. It can be either the PMSFL-Fundamentals (4 hours) or the PMSFL-Basics (2 hours) curriculum. The class size minimum is 4 registrants for special sessions. For more information, please contact PMSFL Program Manager.
A limited number of Scholarships are available for full waiver of the registration fee. The Scholarship Form (see below) must be submitted 15 days prior to the session.
HOW TO participate
Participants of 14 years of age and up who have an eagerness to participate or explore Project Management as a career option is eligible for our PMSFL Scholarship. The scholarship will waive the PMSFL – Fundamentals course fee to anyone who may need financial assistance to participate in the PMSFL program.
- Download the Scholarship Form.
- Fill out the information, sign, and email back to PMI-MN Administrator at least 15 days before the class start date. This form has two pages. Do not register yet until you hear back from PMI-MN.
- Applicant will be notified of the result of the scholar application approximately one week before the class date. Register once the notification is received, but before the registration deadline with the Scholarship Granting information provided in the notification.
- Application with incomplete information will not be considered.
- Contact PMSFL Program Manager if you have questions.
2023 PMFSL Scheduled Sessions
(Subject to Change)
|PMSFL-F (4-Hr)||1/28/2023 (Confirmed)||9:00 AM - 1:00 PM||In-Person (St. Paul College)||https://mnscu.rschooltoday.com/public/costoption/class_id/268673|
|PMSFL-B (2-Hr)||4/15/2023 (Confirmed)||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||
In-Person (St. Paul College)
|PMSFL-F (4-Hr)||JULY WORKSHOP CANCELLED||9:00 AM - 1:00 PM||In-Person (St. Paul College)||By SPC|
|PMSFL-B (2-Hr)||10/28/23 (Tentative)||10:00 AM - 12:00 PM||In-Person (St. Paul College)||With PMI-MN|
- PMSFL-B (Basics) is a 2-hr. high-level introduction to project management (PM) for someone who has no prior PM training of any kind. It can also serve as a refresher to PM. It is FREE.
- PMSFL-F (Fundamentals) is a 4-hr. medium-high level introduction to PM for someone who has some PM practices in their life, but no PM training of any kind. PMSFL-F will have deeper discussions than PMSFL-B, and will introduce the concept of Agile PM methodology. It also has a class project for participants to have a hands-on experience of the methodology as well as the tools.
1. Create and follow a plan
2. Break big jobs into smaller tasks
3. Prioritize activities
4. Create a backup plan… “Plan B”
5. Get the job DONE, and Celebrate Success!
1.Process Groups: Initiating, Planning, Executing, Monitoring & Controlling, and Closing
2. Knowledge Areas: Integration, Scope, Schedule, Cost, Quality, Resource, Communications, Risk, Procurement, and Stakeholder.
Special Sessions Possibilities
Many youth organizations found the Project Management Skills for Live® program to be very beneficial to their members, particularly in the areas of project planning, execution and leadership. PMI-MN is open to any youth organization to request a special PMSFL session for their members. In the past, we have done special PMSFL-Basics (2 hrs.) or PMSFL-Fundamentals (4 hrs.) sessions for a local robotic club, church youth organization, and conservation leadership club.
If interested in setting up a special session, please contact PMSFL Program Manager to indicate the desired date, time and location. Please provide 2-3 options and allow at least two months leads time to set up the session. We do require minimum of four participants, and maximum of 30.
PMSFL Instructors Wanted!
The PMSFL (Project Management Skills for Life®) program in PMI-MN (Minnesota Chapter of the Project Management Institute) is looking for male & female instructors to teach the PMSFL workshop to teenagers (14-19 yr. old) and young adults (20 yrs. old and up.) Please contact PMSFL Program Manager if interested.
- Download the Instructor Application Form -
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
An ideal instructor candidate should have:
- 5+ Yrs. Project Management Experience
- Familiar with PMBOK (Project Management Body of Knowledge, ed. 6 or beyond)
- Certification with PMI – preferred, e.g. PMP or CAPM etc.
- Be willing to attend a PMSFL session (as a “Train-The-Trainer” session) prior to his/her teaching session.
As PMSFL is a joint youth education program with PMI-MN and the Northern Star Scouting Council locally, the PMSFL workshop must be in compliant with the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) 2-Deep Leadership Youth Protection Guideline. All programs are taught with at least two instructors, gender appropriate.
For the Safety of the youth participants, the instructor is required to agree to sign up as a Merit Badge Counselor, at no cost to the applicant, with BSA that requires the applicant to
- Agree to have a Criminal Background Check conducted by BSA
- Agree to complete a BSA Youth Protection Training every two years as long as the applicant is a PMSFL instructor
PMI , PMI-MN and NSS advocate diversity, equity & inclusion by providing life skills training opportunities to youth in diverse communities for their future success.
For additional information and questions please contact PMSFL Program Manager.